Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

LCMS Nationl Youth Gathering

Every three years, the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) throws a huge party! 25,000+ youth show up and bring down whatever town it's in and praise the one and only true God until their voices are hoarse from screaming, their feet are swollen from walking and their adult leaders are ready for a good long nap coma. They call it the LCMS National Youth Gathering. 

This year, San Antonio played their part and they played it well. They were awesome, to say the least. The police were on top of their traffic control, the restaurants served us until they literally ran out of food some nights and the locals wanted to be a part of the energy. Cause honestly, you can't help feeling the vibe when 25,000 young people are wandering the streets with awesome respect, loud voices and God's love showing through their hearts. 

I am going to avoid too many details of the trip and let some photos do the talking. But, I do want to say how proud I am of my youth group. Three years ago, the Gathering was held in New Orleans, Louisiana. I was too old to attend as a participant, but pretty much made the decision, that unless I was physically incapable of attending, I would never miss one of these celebrations ever again. And so, the door was opened for those a little too old to attend as a participant to volunteer as a Young Adult Volunteer, also known as a YAV. My first experience as a YAV was incredible. It was much more liberating to see the Gathering from the inside and have zero restraints on how I wanted to best experience everything that it could offer. I was a on a team of other young adults who did the ushering for the morning bible studies and the Mass Events at night; which are big parties with music, skits, testimonies and extra thrills thrown in that happen each night of the Gathering. We had so many people attend the Gathering that in New Orleans, we were housed in the Super Dome and last week in San Antonio, we were in the Alamodome!I was blessed enough in San Antonio to not only be able to volunteer again, but lead a team of volunteers and usher the Mass Events once again!

On top of these nightly hooplahs, they have on-site servant events, off-site servant events, basketball courts, indoor ziplines, concerts, speakers, university booths, photo booths, internet cafes, obstacle courses, drum circles, volleyball courts, blood drives and so much more to keep all these kids occupied in between nightly parties. And the party doesn't stop there, they have night life activities at certain hotels where participants can keep the party going even after the Mass Events.

To say that this isn't some of these kids best week of their lives is probably an understatement. These Gatherings are a huge reason why I am where I am in my spiritual walk. I probably never would have become a youth leader in the first place.

When we went to New Orleans, We had 4 kids, 2 adults and myself as a volunteer representing our church. Not bad for a congregation with roughly 140 members. However, in three short years, we sent 12 kids, 5 adults and 2 volunteers! Praise God! I was mostly absent from the youth during the week because I was busy with my duties as a volunteer, but when I met up with them after the Gathering conclusion, they asked me to lead the final bible study for the week. When that bible study turned into an absolutely moving testament of the growth of faith, I was floored. My prayer was that these kids would find some piece of God during the week. They were all in different places in their walks and I just wanted them to find a piece. They found a whole pie. Many are now talking about going to the Concordia University system for college. Some are already going to Christian universities this fall. 

As I look forward to the move in less than a month, I can't help but thank God for the chance to celebrate with these kids one last time. They have taught me more about my faith than I have probably taught them as their youth leader. 

For more photos, please visit www.bonessphoto.com

My Youth Group, Pre Gathering.

Some of my Team of YAVs at Charlie wants a Burger for dinner.

Looking good in their Sunday best for a special Gathering workers Worship service.

At Lulu's for 3 lb cinnamon rolls!

Writing cards for terminally ill kids.

A little drag never hurt anybody.

All of Team Durango in our place of work.

I can't even photograph all the people in the Alamodome at one time there were so many!

4th of July fireworks.

Youth Group - Post Gathering.

1 comment: