Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Being Christian is Hard Work

"In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature[a] God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
    being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
        even death on a cross!"

- Philippians 2:5-8


Being a Christian is hard. It's not always rainbows and cookies after church. It is a lot of work to maintain. 

Just like any relationship in life there is give and take. You have to put in effort to keep friendships and relationships afloat with any sort of life. You can't expect your friend to always be there for you if you never ask them to hang out, buy them dinner or listen to their problems.

Being a Christian is the same thing. Sure, there are some lifestyle standards that God holds us to. Don't curse, help the helpless, fellowship with other believers, drink coffee after church. Those things may make us feel Christian, but do not make us Christian. Being Christian means we are followers of Christ. It does not mean we attend church every Sunday or work in the food kitchen twice per week. While noble and Godly, God wants us to have a relationship with Him and that is what truly makes us Christian.

I find that I feel less Christian when my relationship with Jesus is lacking. Maybe I haven't been to church in a couple weeks, or prayed as much as I should, or opened my bible for a while. I feel like I am not even a Christian at all without those things. I'm still a good person, I still help people in need, I still tell people I am Christian, but I don't always feel that way because the relationship is hurting.

Anyone can have good morals, stand up for injustice, and do what's deemed right, but what really separates Christians from others is our relationship and I pray that everyone continues to nurture that because just like in any earthly relationship, it is a two way street and Jesus needs your input.

No comments:

Post a Comment