Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Reminiscence

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." - Colossians 3: 23-24

I have been working seasonally for a top Arizona private golf community for seven years. All that time has been spent with the Recreation Department in which I have done every job imaginable from spin class instructor, to camp counselor, to supervisor of everything from special events and adult programming to our poolside snack bar. The only jobs I wouldn't know how to do at this point without some help is write out our budget for the department and  personal train our members. I will gladly leave those jobs to the professionals. 

As you can imagine, I have had my ups and down in the department. I started out there as a 16 year old and have truly grown up in the recreation center. I have spent 70 hour weeks setting up tables, going on field trips, organizing family fun runs and staring at a computer screen wondering why my snack bar budget isn't reaching its goal. I have seen the economy tank during my time at this club and believe me, the economy even touches the richest among us. I have watched our numbers dwindle and watched my Director pull his hair out to make our department grow despite all the financial hardship. I even took a year off in 2010 to regroup after an especially overwhelming and stressful season. I've looked forward to starting back at the club some years and abhorred it others. Made great, lifelong friends and met my girlfriend while working out there. It has truly been a blessing in disguise.

I am reminiscing because this, after all the failed attempts at trying to break free, will be my final year at the club. As Cassie and I look forward to moving out of the state and starting something new, I began my final first week back as a full time staff last Monday. It has been draining, to say the least. Trying to turn my internal clock back to work time has been a struggle both mentally and physically despite the work not being terribly exhausting. I will truly miss the department, but maybe I am getting ahead of myself, as I have the whole summer season to look forward to in front of me. 

Ups and downs to the side, I haven't always had the same attitude about this job. I have been stressed. Angry at members and staff alike for asking too much of me. Bending over backwards to fulfill obnoxious requests. Cleaning poop out of the pool. Early mornings. Late nights. 17 hour days. Seven day weeks. Doesn't matter the reason, I haven't always been aware of the blessing it has been.

As Colossians says, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart." I know for a fact that I haven't obeyed that command. I know that I struggle with being placed in hard situations and complaining about the easier way. But I have made a covenant to myself this year that I will take this job as a blessing and not a regret. Because when the time comes for us to move, I will miss this place. I will miss the memories and the hardships. The lessons learned and the growth. The blessing of just having a job when so many struggle. I will do my best to put my whole heart into the work I do. I will slip, I know that. I am not perfect. But, hopefully I can remember that things only get harder from here and the present is an honest blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment