Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Volunteer Hearts (Part 6)

 Thank you to Elyssa Lorenz, we are back on for another week. Elyssa hails from Chicago and was part of Team Alamo during the Gathering. Take a read of her experience at the NYG 2013.



What made you decide to apply to be a YAV?

I decided to become a YAV when I went to the New Orleans gathering and saw how much fun the YAVs were having. I wanted to be a YAV from the minute I came home and knew I couldn't go back as a participant again because of my age. I wanted to experience the gathering in a different light.

What were you expecting being a YAV would be like?

Like a lot of people said before I thought it was going to be a lot of work. Not a lot of down time. I was on Team Alamo and we lead all the dances during the mass events and so we had to practice every morning but it was so much fun. I met so many new people and experienced an awesome week from a different point of view.

What was the most overwhelming moment you experienced at the Gathering?

The most overwhelming part of the gathering would be the first night. Seeing all the participants coming in and knowing I will be dancing in front of them all in minutes. But I enjoyed every minute of the mass events.

Where did you see God's love the most during your week at the Gathering?

I saw God's love when the participants wanted to learn the dances that we were doing during the mass events, and got excited to dance while doing them. Another time I saw God's love was actually after the gathering when I was in the airport back in Chicago. A guy that attended the gathering with his youth group saw my orange backpack and thanked me for my hard work and offered to carry my suit cases.

What would you tell someone to convince them to apply to be a YAV in the future?


I would say that if you enjoyed the gathering as a participant, you should apply to be a YAV because you will enjoy it even more. You get to work with people from all over the United States. You make friends that will last forever, and the YAV family is awesome. We are all still communicating a month and a half later, via prayer requests and prayers of praise.  I hope to see old and new faces in 2016!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment