Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Volunteer Hearts (Part 4)

This week, we break out of the mold of Team Durango and welcome our first post by another team. We hear from Bob Etheridge from Team Longhorn. Bob is from Indianapolis, Indiana and currently attends Concordia St. Paul.

Take it away:

What made you decide to apply to be a YAV?

I decided to be a YAV because the gathering in New Orleans three years ago had changed my life to be a more loving person to the people I met. This has wanted me to be able to show the love of Christ to everyone including the youth at the gathering. It made me want to bring the light of Christ to everywhere I go. My DCE at my home congregation had told me that he and his wife had been YAVs before and really encouraged me and others from my congregation to volunteer. They said that you would build relationships with those in the synod. Since I am going into ministry I believed it would be a great way to develop new relationships with other Lutherans that I may one day be working with in congregations if they continue to be active in their churches.  I also liked the part of serving the youth, so that they could see God in their lives.


What were you expecting being a YAV would be like?


I had heard stories from my DCE that you would work the whole time down there. I would get no breaks, and would barely be able to make time to eat meals during the week. I believed I would get very little sleep because I would be working all day and night. I expected to bond with my teammates, and those were the only people I would meet at the gathering, since I would spend the majority of my time with them. I believed I meet brothers and sisters that I could still communicate with after the Gathering to continue the relationships that had been made. I also expected to grow in my relationship with God, knowing that he is the reason why I live, and why I chose to be a YAV. In this I could come out of the gathering to live loved to the people I interact with the rest of my life.


What was the most overwhelming moment you experienced at the Gathering?

 
The most overwhelming moment was being able to commune with 25,000 people who all believe the same thing I believe. That was awesome. It reminds me of all the saints who celebrate the victory of the Lamb in heaven.  I loved when we sang This is the Feast of Victory for Our God. The power of knowing that Jesus lives forever and comes to us through the word and the bread and wine, allows me to be able to live loved knowing that there are over 25,000 Lutherans who care for me. That was truly amazing, and I look forward to the feast that is to come with all my brothers and sisters through all ages with Jesus.


Where did you see God’s love the most during your week at the Gathering?


Everywhere! God’s love surrounded the whole Gathering. He got all the YAV’s to the Hotel nice and safely on Saturday. He got all the participants to San Antonio in a timely gathering. The city offered nice accommodation with lodging and food for the whole week at its hotels and restaurant. God’s love was seen in the YAV’s enthusiasm for the youth, to get them excited, or giving them a high five, or even a free hug here and there. It’s in that physical touch of a hug or a high five, they feel the touch of Christ, knowing that Christ is in us. So when we give a hug or a high five or a pat on the back it is Christ working through us to give them that hug allowing him to remind them of his love through the whole Christian community at the gathering. God’s love was seen on that Thursday morning worship when we celebrated the resurrection. How he wants each and every one of us to come to him and be a part of him in his kingdom forever. How out of his love for us he sent Jesus to die for us, so that we might be saved.


What would you tell someone to convince them to apply to be a YAV in the future?


Being a YAV allows you to get to bond and build great relationships that will last for eternity with people who believe the same thing you do. You have the opportunity to work with the bands in concerts, working with the community at the service events, or helping out at the mass events. You get the opportunity to change someone life by being the love of Jesus to them. It’s a lot of fun, a lot of hard work, but a lot of love that you can share to the youth at the gathering. Everyone should apply to be a YAV who is applicable so that they can continue to grow in their relationship with God at the gathering, as well as meet new Lutherans, and to be able to show Christ love to the youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment