Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Volunteer Hearts (Part 5)

After a one week hiatus away from Team Durango, we are back! This week, we here from Rachel Schildwachter (only makes sense that she is Lutheran with a last name like that). Rachel is originally from Maryland but currently makes her home in Orlando, Florida and works for Disney World! Awesome. 

Here is her story.

What made you decide to apply to be a YAV?

I had attended both the 2004 and 2007 gatherings in Orlando and it was some of the best experiences of my life. I truly believe that NYG is a wonderful thing for our youth, and knew that I wanted to be a part of it again. In addition, being from an event world, I wanted to see what the other side of the gathering would be like.

What were you expecting being a YAV would be like?


I was expecting long hours, and more work than play. However, for me working the mass events was like not working at all. I had so much fun and was still able to grow in my faith. I knew that I would meet people from all over the country, but the Orange Nation team allowed time for us to bond and just hang out together. I met some incredible people, and now I have some amazing friends all over the country.

What was the most overwhelming moment you experienced at the Gathering?


The very first night was emotionally overwhelming for me. I remember being at past gatherings and seeing God working in the thousands of people that were there. However this year I was in the Alamodome before the participants arrived. I saw them flood into the room to find their seats. And as the music began, and the thousands in the room started singing, I couldn't help but be moved. It was hard to hold back the tears. 

Where did you see God's love the most during your week at the Gathering?


God's love overwhelmed the city of San Antonio that week. For me, I think that where I saw God's love the most was just on the streets. Since we all had similar backpacks, it was obvious to tell who was with the gathering. Walking around the city, our team would give high fives and chant whenever we saw a youth group. It was incredible to know that all of these random people would respond willingly back to us. This just showed that none of us were afraid to proclaim our love for God and His love for us!

What would you tell someone to convince them to apply to be a YAV in the future?


This was one of the best weeks of my life. To be a part of a gathering of 25000 other Lutherans is an experience that is hard to put into words. In addition, we were able to walk around and ensure that those 25000 people that were there, were having a good time. And even though we were only together a week, the bonds that you make are incredible. I would not trade my experience for the world!



No comments:

Post a Comment