Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Our Engagement Story

First off, apologies for not posting the first "My Story Mondays" story yesterday. I have a few calls out to influential people in my life and who can blame them for being a bit too busy to write something up in a week. So, I am shooting for next week for the first story to be up. 

Also, the big news going around is that my girlfriend, Cassie, and I got engaged!! 

I had been planning the engagement for about 5 or 6 weeks. It wasn't anything huge or cheesy, but it was special for us.

We both work a bunch at our jobs and we don't normally have a day off together. So when we finally had a day off coming up, I jumped on the opportunity to make that the day.

The day started off by never actually being able to go to sleep. Did I mention we work a lot? We were both driving shuttles for a member at our golf club who was throwing a party for his employees. Cassie got lucky and was able to get home at 11 when she was done driving. However, I got stuck on a second shuttle driving for a different party. Long story short, they never called me to come pick them up from the bars, so I was waiting for them until 2:30am when I decided they were no longer downtown. They ended up taking cabs home around 11:30pm. 

We had planned on leaving for sunrise at the Grand Canyon at 3:15am. I only had time to run home, change, grab my camera and head out the door. 

The Grand Canyon is special in our relationship because it was where we went for our first real date outside of work (where we met) and where we took our first real trip together as well. We have been to the Canyon probably 6 or 7 times during our dating relationship. It was an obvious choice as a backdrop to our special day.

I chose the east side of the Canyon because I knew that the popular Mather Point and any point along the south rim drive was going to be packed with people and I didn't want to make this any more nerve racking than it already was going to be. Plus, I knew that Cassie didn't necessarily want to make a big scene either. Luckily, we found Navajo Point completely empty. 

I pulled out my camera and set it up while Cassie stayed in the car for a couple extra minutes. I used the ploy of coming up to take sunrise photos, which is quite believable. We also like to take couples photos where ever we go because, I am competitive and want to have the coolest couples photos ever. Again, pretty believable. After a few landscape shots, I move my camera to a new spot and we take a couple pictures. I then tell her, "Oh! I just remembered that I bought a remote for my camera. We don't have to set the timer anymore." So, I grab that, we take one more photo and I tell her, " You know what else I realized, that was our last photo as girlfriend and boyfriend." And I pulled out the ring. 

She said "Yes" and we now have the opportunity to start the rest of our lives together!

We will be posting our story, written together, on our Couples blog named Koinonia shortly! Follow that blog for a more couples focused perspective on our wedding planning, and our future move to Missouri together.




Can't have a much better backdrop than this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment